CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2022
JANUARY – 02, 2022
Good Samaritans awards
- The Union Road ministry has launched a scheme for ‘Good Samaritans’.
- Under this, a cash award of Rs 5,000 will be given to those who save the life of a road accident victim by rushing him/her to the hospital within the ‘golden hour’ of the mishap.
- This is to motivate the general public to help the road accident victims in an emergency situation.
- ‘Golden hour’ refers to the 1-hour time period following a traumatic injury during which there is the highest likelihood of preventing death by providing prompt medical care.
- The Tamil Nadu government has announced a reward of Rs 5,000 for those who admit road accident victims to hospitals for treatment.
- According to National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA), in 2021, India reported the death of around 126 tigers.
- Recently, a tiger was found dead in Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh (MP), taking the toll to 44 in MP in 2021.
- Madhya Pradesh with 44 tiger deaths, is followed by Maharashtra and Karnataka.
India Semiconductor Mission
- Information Technology Minister, Ashwini Vaishnaw, launched India Semiconductor Mission (ISM).
- ISM is a specialized and independent business division of Digital India Corporation.
- The scheme was launched with the aim of attracting large investments in manufacturing AMOLED-based (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) display panels or TFT LCD (Thin-film-transistor liquid-crystal display).
Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership
- The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) will come into effect on January 1, 2022, marking the formation of the world’s largest free-trade zone in terms of trade volume.
- It is a trade deal between the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and China, Japan, South Korea, Australia, and New Zealand.
- India withdrew from the RCEP largely because of concerns it would open it up to Chinese goods amid an already wide trade imbalance with China, and the failure of the agreement to adequately open up to services.
- Both India and USA are not members to this partnership.