CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
AUGUST – 6, 2021
“Samagra Shiksha” Scheme :
- The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of Samagra Shiksha Scheme for School Education for five years from April 1, 2021 till March 31, 2026.
- The Samagra Shiksha Scheme is an integrated scheme that aims to cover the whole school education from school to class XII.
- The scheme is in line with Sustainable Development Goal for Education (SDG4).
- It aims to ensure that all children have access to quality education.
Excavation begins in Porpanaikottai
- The Tamilnadu Environment Minister Siva V Meyyanathan inaugurated archaeological excavation by Tamil Nadu Open University, at Porpanaikottai, Pudukkottai.
- There are reports of a fort having stood at Porpanaikottai several years ago.
- The Archaeologists said the evidence found in the area dates back 1,800 years.
Paralympic Theme Song launch
- The Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports, Anurag Singh Thakur launched the theme song for the Indian Paralympic contingent in New Delhi.
- The song is titled “Kar De Kamaal Tu”.
- The composer and singer of the song is Sanjeev Singh.
- He is a Divyang cricket player from Lucknow.
- 54 para-sportspersons across 9 sports disciplines are participating in Paralympic Games in Tokyo.
- Lovlina won the third Olympic medal for India.
- She won bronze medal after against Busenaz Surmeneli from Turkey in 69kg welterweight semi-finals.
- Lovlina Borgohain has also become the second Indian female boxer, after MC Mary Kom, to win an Olympic bronze.
- Lovlina has become first-ever Assamese woman to win the Olympic medal.
- Lovlina Borgohain is the third Indian boxer to win Olympic bronze following legendary boxers Mary Kom and Vijender Singh.
- Mary Kom and Vijender Singh had won bronze medal respectively in 2012 London Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympics.