CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
NOVEMBER – 18, 2021
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin launched ‘Valimai’ brand cement.
- It is a new cement brand from Tamil Nadu Cements Corporation Limited (TANCEM).
- The two varieties of the Valimai cement brand are priced at ₹350 and ₹365 a bag.
India’s first Food Security Museum – Thanjavur
- The Food Security Museum showcases,
- o The evolution of man from nomadic hunter groups into settled agriculture procedures
- o Ancient global & indigenous grain storage methods,
- o Challenges in storage
- o Journey of food grains from farm to plate through FCI.
- The museum has been co-developed by the Food Corporation of India (FCI) and Visvesvaraya Industrial & Technological Museums, Bengaluru.
- Thanjavur is the birthplace of FCI.
- The first office of FCI was inaugurated there on January 14, 1965.
India’s solar energy capacity – 45 GW
- India told the UN climate summit that its solar energy capacity stands at about 45 gigawatts after it increased 17 times in the last seven years.
- It is realized that the country represents 17 percent of the global population and its historical cumulative emissions are only 4 percent.
- India’s 15 percent of total carbon dioxide emission in 2016 was removed from the atmosphere by the LULUCF (Land Use, Land-Use Change, and Forestry).
- The first case of Norovirus was confirmed in the Wayanad district of Kerala.
- Norovirus is an animal-borne disease.
- It is transmitted through contaminated water and food.
- Norovirus is a group of viruses, causing gastrointestinal illness.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Longest Partial Lunar Eclipse of The Century
- On November 19 in the morning, several countries will witness the second lunar eclipse of 2021.
- It will be the longest Partial lunar eclipse of the century.
- 4% of the moon’s diameter will be immersed in the dark umbral shadow of Earth at maximum eclipse.
- In India, a small part of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam will observe the partial eclipse.
- The end part of the eclipse will be visible from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, and Jharkhand.
National Press Day – November 16
- The day is observed every year to celebrate free and responsible press in India.
- On this day the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog to ensure that the press maintains high standards and is not constrained by any influence or threats.