CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
OCTOBER – 19, 2021
Global Roadmap to Defeat Meningitis
- The Global Roadmap to Defeat Meningitis by 2030 was launched by World Health Organisation recently.
- It aims to eliminate epidemics of bacterial meningitis.
- It also aims to reduce deaths by 70 per cent and halve the number of cases
Moscow Format Meeting
- India has been invited to attend Moscow Format Meeting on Afghanistan.
- The meeting will be attended by representatives of the Taliban.
- India will be participating in it at the joint secretary level.
- This will be the first Moscow format dialogue after the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban in August 2021.
- The meeting is likely to be the first time India will meet the Taliban face-to-face since it set up an interim government last month.
- Moscow format is a Russian initiative to find a regional solution to the Afghanistan crisis
Temple jewelry into gold bars
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin virtually launched the preliminary work towards the melting of gold ornaments, in temples under the control of the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (HR&CE) Department.
- The CM launched the work at the Arulmigu Karumariyamman Temple at Tiruverkadu, Arulmigu Mariamman Temple at Samayapuram and Arulmigu Mariamman Temple at Irukkankudi, Virudu Nagar.
- The gold ornaments in these temples will be melted and converted into bars.
- The funds raised by depositing the gold bars in nationalised banks would be used for the development of the temples.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Solar observation satellite
- China launched its first solar observation satellite.
- It is launched by a Long March 2D rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in northern Shanxi province.
- The 550-kg Xihe satellite will monitor the Sun for three years.
Funding units under job scheme – Uttar Pradesh tops
- The Uttar Pradesh has financed the highest number of units in the country under the Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP).
- The UP government has facilitated a total of over Rs 123 crore as margin money.
- It has done through various banks to about 3,588 units under PMEGP.