CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
OCTOBER – 13, 2021
Exercise Malabar 2021
- India, Japan, the United States and Australia will be participating in the 2nd phase of Multilateral Maritime Exercise Malabar in the Bay of Bengal.
- The 1st phase of Multilateral Maritime Exercise Malabar was held in the Philippines Sea from August 26 to 29, 2021.
- The Exercise Malabar began as an annual bilateral naval exercise between the US and India in 1992.
Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences 2021
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel.
- It’s one half is to given David Card (University of California of USA) “for his empirical contributions to labour economics”.
- The other half jointly to Joshua Angrist (Massachusetts Institute of Technology of USA) and Guido Imbens (Stanford University of USA) “for their methodological contributions to the analysis of causal relationships”.
- In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank (Sweden’s central bank) established the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Nobel Prize.
- The first Prize in Economic Sciences was awarded to Ragnar Frisch and Jan Tinbergen in 1969.
- The Kerala government has called off the proposed 163-megwatt Athirappally hydroelectric power project on the Chalakudy river basin in Thrissur district.
- The Chalakudy River is a tributary of the Periyar River and originates in the Anamalai region of Tamil Nadu.
- The Kadar tribal community has faced continued displacement due to the commissioning of different hydel power projects in the Chalakudy river basin.
- Telugu filmmaker B Gopal, alias Bejawada Gopal, has been chosen for the fourth Satyajit Ray Award.
- The award is instituted by the Satyajit Ray Film Society Kerala, a state-based organisation. Vayalar Award
- The Malayalam writer Benyamin has bagged the 45th Vayalar Ramavarma Memorial Literary Award for his book “Manthalirile 20 Communist Varshangal”.
- This award is instituted by the Vayalar Ramavarma Memorial Trust.
Athirappally hydroelectric project
Satyajit Ray Award