CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
MAY – 3, 2021
Helpline number for pregnant women
- The National Commission for Women recently launched the WhatsApp number 9354954224 for pregnant women.
- It is a “message only” helpline number.
- It will provide round the clock medical assistance to expectant mothers all over the country.
New technique in collecting COVID-19 samples
- Rakesh Mishra, Director of Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) said that they devised a new dry swab technique for collecting COVID-19 samples.
- Viral Transport Medium (VTM) is the potential for further spread of the virus.
- The dry swab technique is safe, fast, cheap, and more accurate.
Global Electric Vehicle Outlook
- The International Energy Agency recently released the Global Electric Vehicle Outlook.
- According to the report Three million new electric cars were registered in 2020.
- This was 41% higher than those registered in 2019.
- Around 30% of new vehicle sales in 2030 will be Electric in India.
World’s Oldest Water at Canada
- Barbara Sherwood Lollar, the geochemist had spent much of her career wandering around some of the deepest mines in the world, finding and extracting water that was millions of years old.
- The research, published in Nature Communications, states that the Canadian mine water extracted by her in 2009, to be 1.6 billion years old.
International Labour Day – May 01
- May Day is also called International Workers’ Day or Labour Day.
- The day celebrates the struggle, dedication and commitment of the working class and is an annual public holiday in several countries.
- The first Labour Day in India was hosted by the Labour Kisan Party, started by Singaravelu Chettiar, in Madras in 1923.