CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
MAY – 2, 2021
- The Commissioner of Police Maheshkumar Agarwal has launched a new integrated program called ‘Kaaval karangal’ in Chennai.
- The Greater Chennai Police has launched this program to help the elderly, women, children and the mentally ill who are left without support on the roads.
3D printed house
- The Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaraman inaugurated the first 3D printed house at IIT Madras.
- The House was constructed using indigenous 3D printing technology. It was built in just five days.
- It was built by TVASTA Manufacturing solutions based on a concept by former IIT-M students.
- 3D printing is a process of making three dimensional objects through digital instructions.
Trends in world Military Expenditure – report
- The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute recently released its “Trends in world Military Expenditure” report.
- According to the report, the top military spenders in the world are the United States, China and India.
- The military expenditure of o India has grown by 2.1%, o China has grown by 1.9% and o United States has grown by 4.4%
Time Magazine’s list 2021
- Two Indian firms, Reliance Industries’ technology arm Jio Platforms and elearning startup BYJU’s have figured in the Time Magazine’s first-ever list of 100 most influential companies.
- BYJU’s was listed alongside Tesla, Huawei, Shopify, Airbnb, and DiDi Chuxing in the Disruptors category.
- Jio Platforms was listed under the Innovators category alongside Zoom, Adidas, TikTok, Ikea, Moderna, and Netflix.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- DRDO announced that the Python 5 Air to Air Missile has been successfully added to the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas.
- The missiles were test fired in Goa and achieved 100% hits.
- It is an air to air missile built by the Israeli weapon manufacturer Rafael Advanced Defence Systems