CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
MARCH – 8, 2021
Third World Thirukkural Conference
- The Third World Thirukkural Conference was started in Thanjavur.
- It is held on behalf of the World Tamil Research Institute, Bharath College of Science, Australia Melbourne Tamil Association, Ilangadu Natramizh Association and Thanjavur Tamil Thai Foundation.
- Madhya Pradesh introduced night safaris in three of the national parks in the state. The three national parks are
- Bandhavgarh National Park
- Kanha National Park
- Pench National Park.
- The National Committee is set up to commemorate 75 years of India’s Independence. It is a 259-member high-level national committee.
- The committee includes Union Ministers, Chief Ministers, Governors and leaders from different political parties.
- The celebrations are proposed to be launched 75 weeks prior to this date on 12th of this month.
- 12th March is the 91st anniversary of the historic Salt Satyagraha led by Mahatma Gandhi
- In a major boost to India’s rice exports potential, the first consignment of ‘red rice’ was flagged off to the USA.
- ‘Red rice’ is grown in Brahmaputra valley of Assam grown without the use of any chemical fertilizer.
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has promoting rice exports through the Rice Export Promotion Forum (REPF).
International Year of Millets
- United Nations has unanimously declared 2023 as the International Year of Millets.
- This was initiated by India with Bangladesh, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Russia and Senegal and was co-sponsored by over 70 nations.
First dolphin research centre
- India’s and Asia’s first National Dolphin Research Centre will come up on the bank of the Ganges in the premises of Patna University.
- The dolphin is a highly endangered species under Schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
- The gangetic dolphin is one of the four freshwater dolphins’ species in the world.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
First Arctic-monitoring Satellite
- Russia has successfully launched its first satellite to monitor the Arctic’s climate and environment.
- A Soyuz-2.1b carrier rocket with the “Arktika-M” satellite on board blasted off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
- The Arktika-M will provide round-the-clock continuous monitoring of the northern territory of Russia and the seas of the Arctic Ocean.
PERSONALITIES AND AWARDS
30th Bihari Puraskar for 2020
- The Bihari Puraskar is one of the three literary awards instituted by the KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- Mohankrishna Bohara will be awarded the 30th Bihari Puraskar Award for his critical work ‘Taslima: Sangharsh aur Sahitya’.