CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
JULY – 28, 2021
Perforated terracotta pipes in Korkai
- Nine perforated terracotta pipes, stacked one above the other, have been found during the archaeological excavation at Korkai.
- Korkai is an ancient site in Thoothukudi district.
- The diameter and the height of the pipes were both 27 cms.
2,500-year-old sword and a clay pot
- An excavation at Mayilaadumpaarai next to Bargur in Krishnagiri district has uncovered 2,500-year-old sword and a clay pot.
- The iron sword was 70 cm long.
- The clay was about 50 cm in size.
- “Golden Rice” which is genetically modified has been given approval for commercial production by Philippines.
- Health experts believe that this decision will save lives and combat childhood blindness in the developing regions of the world.
- The government issued a bio safety permit which paves way for this rice which is enriched with beta-carotene.
- International Rice Research Institute along with the Department of Agriculture Philippine Rice Research Institute has spent two decades to develop the golden rice which is named so due to its bright yellow hue.
- This is the first kind of genetically modified rice which has been approved for commercial usage in the South and Southeast Asia region.
Great Indian Bustards
- The Central government informed that there were no Great Indian Bustards (GIB) in Kutch Bustard Sanctuary (KBS) in Gujaratx.
- KBS near Naliya in Kutch district’s Abdasa block is a tiny sanctuary notified in 1992 and spread over just 2 sq km.
- But its eco-sensitive zone spread over 220 sq km covers most of present-day core GIB habitat.
- The Great Indian Bustards are the largest among the four bustard species in India.
- The other three being MacQueen’s bustard, lesser florican and the Bengal florican.
- Overhead power transmission lines are the biggest threat to the GIBs.
- In April 2021, the Supreme Court ordered that all overhead power transmission lines in core and potential GIB habitats in Rajasthan and Gujarat should be undergrounded.
- The SC also formed a three-member committee to help power companies comply with the order.
World Cadet Wrestling Championship
- Indian wrestler Priya Malik won a gold medal at the ongoing World Cadet Wrestling Championship in Budapest, Hungary.
- Malik beat her Belarus opponent Kseniya Patapovich 5-0 to clinch the gold in the 73kg category.
- Priya Malik has become the first Indian wrestler to win a gold medal in the World Cadet Wrestling Championship.
Tokyo Summer Olympic Games
- On July 23 Japanese Emperor Naruhito declared the Tokyo Summer Olympic Games open.
- The opening ceremony of the 32nd Olympic Games is taking place at the National Stadium in Tokyo without spectators due to the pandemic.
- Japan is hosting the Olympics for the fourth time.
- Previously, the country hosted the Winter Olympics twice (Sapporo-1972 and Nagano-1998), as well as the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.