CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
JULY – 27, 2021
‘Renewables Integration in India’ report
- A report named Renewables Integration in India 2021 was jointly launched by NITI Aayog and International Energy Agency.
- This report is based on the outcome of workshops held in three states along with the Governments of Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- This is to understand the energy transition challenges which is faced by these renewable-rich states.
- According to the report, India’s power system can efficiently integrate renewables (175 GW by the year 2022 and 450 GW by the year 2030).
- The defence minister Rajnath Singh has flagged in the Indian Army’s skiing expedition.
- It was conducted in the Himalayan mountain ranges.
- The expedition, called ARMEX-21, was flagged off at Karakoram Pass in Ladakh on March 10 and culminated at Malari in Uttarakhand on July 6 covering 1,660 km in 119 days.
- The ARMEX-21 was conducted in the mountain ranges of the Himalayan region to promote the adventure activity in the country and the Indian Army.
World’s first clean Nuclear Reactor
- The Scientists of the Chinese government has unveiled plans for an experimental nuclear reactor that does not require water for cooling.
- This reactor will run on liquid thorium instead of uranium.
- It is expected to be safer than the traditional reactors.
- As water is not required by this type of reactor, it will be able to operate in desert regions.
- A team at the Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics have developed this prototype.
AWARDS AND EVENTS
Mirabai Chanu bags silver
- Mirabai Chanu won the silver medal and became the first Indian to win an Olympic medal at the 2020 Tokyo Games in the Women’s 49kg category.
- China’s Zhihui Hou won the gold medal in the women’s 49-kg weightlifting.
- She lifted a total of 210 kg.
- Indonesia’s Windy Cantika Aisah won the bronze medal.
- Chanu managed to lift a total of 202 kg in the women’s 49 kg category.
- She became the second Indian weightlifter after Karnam Malleswari to win an Olympic medal.
- A new Olympic record was registered by Mirabai Chanu with a successful lift of 115kg in clean and jerk.
Sumit Nagal – Third Indian to win Tennis singles at Olympic
- Sumit Nagal became only the third Indian tennis player to win a singles men’s match at the Olympic Games.
- He became the first to win for India in 25 years.
- He edged past Denis Istomin in this match.
- At the 1996 Atlanta Games, Zeeshan Ali became the first Indian to win a singles match by beating Fernando Meligeni of Brazil.
- Leander Paes was the second Indian to have gone past the first round.
Kargil Vijay Diwas – July 26
- It is the 22nd anniversary of the Kargil Vijay Diwas.
- The day marks the victory of Indian soldiers in recapturing the mountain heights that were occupied by the Pakistani Army.
- Kargil war was declared over on July 26, 1999.
- The day is observed as ‘Kargil Vijay Diwas’ to commemorate India’s victory.