CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
AUGUST – 4, 2021
National Research Foundation (NRF)
- Dharmendra Pradhan, the Union Minister of Education, announced that the government of India is planning to set up a National Research Foundation (NRF).
- Its primary aim to strengthen the country’s research ecosystem.
- The NRF will be functioning as a structure that will connect the industry, academia and the R&D of the country.
Controller General of Accounts
- Deepak Das has taken over as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA).
- Deepak Das is the 25th officer to hold the position of CGA.
- CGA is the account keeper of the government and derives its mandate from Article 150 of the Constitution.
Tamil Nadu legislature turns 100
- The Assembly chambers at Fort St. George witnessed a historic event when President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the centenary celebrations of the State legislature.
e-RUPI Digital Payment Solution
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched “e-RUPI Digital Payment Solution” on August 2, 2021.
- e-RUPI is an e-voucher-based payment solution. e-RUPI initiative was launched to limit touch points between government and beneficiary.
- This Platform will also ensure that benefits reach its intended beneficiaries in a targeted and leak-proof manner.
- e-RUPI is a one-time payment mechanism that will allow users to redeem voucher without using card, digital payments app or internet banking access.
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) developed e-RUPI platform on its UPI platform.
- It was launched in collaboration with Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and National Health Authority
PV Sindhu’s – Bronze
- PV Sindhu has become first Indian woman to win two Olympic medals after defeating ‘He Bingjiao’ of China.
- She is the first Indian woman to win Olympic silver.
- At 2012 Rio Olympics, Sindhu had won women’s singles badminton silver in her Olympics debut.
- She won bronze at the Tokyo Olympics.