CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
NOVEMBER – 19, 2021
- The Global Research on Antimicrobial Resistance (GRAM) Project published a study in Lancet Planetary Health.
- As per the study, global antibiotic consumption rates have increased by 46% in the last two decades.
- Antibiotic consumption rates in South Asia are increased by 116%.
MoU on Renewable Energy
- The National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) signed an MoU with Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL).
- This is to collaborate in the field of Renewable Energy and mutually explore opportunities for the supply of low carbon/RE RTC (round the clock) captive power.
- This is a first-of-its-kind novel initiative by two leading national energy majors of India, to support the country’s commitment to achieving renewable energy targets and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- More than 7.86 crore registrations have been done in the e-Shram portal.
- Out of this number,
- o 40.5 percent belong to Other Backward Classes (OBCs),
- o 27.4 percent general category,
- o 23.7 percent scheduled castes (SCs) and
- o 8.3 percent to scheduled tribes (STs).
- The e-Shram portal is India’s first centralised database of unorganised workers.
- These estimations are significant as they offer an indicator of the social profile of informal sector workers in India
The Most polluted cities – IQAir
- Delhi, Kolkata, and Mumbai are among the top ten most polluted cities in the world.
- This is according to the data from air quality and pollution city tracking service from IQAir, a Switzerland-based climate group.
- Delhi topped the list with AQI at 556, Kolkata and Mumbai recorded an AQI of 177 and 169, respectively, at 4th and 6th position.
- Lahore is on top of the list of the most polluted cities.
- ADIPEC conference is being held in Abu Dhabi.
- During the conference, India’s petroleum minister Hardeep Singh Puri said that India made a “concerted push” with OPEC+ on oil production.
- The conference is taking place in the backdrop of COP26 climate talks and increasing energy prices.
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced to introduce the Internal Ombudsman mechanism for the following two types of Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs).
- These two types of NBFCs are o Deposit-taking NBFCs (NBFCs-D) with 10 or more branches and o Non-Deposit taking NBFCs (NBFCs-ND) with asset size of Rs.5,000 crore and above having a public customer interface.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- A direct-ascent anti-satellite (DA-ASAT) missile was tested by Russia.
- DA-ASAT missile struck a Russian satellite called COSMOS 1408, as a result, debris field in low-Earth orbit.
- This test has generated about 1500 pieces of trackable orbital debris, so far.
- It will generate hundreds of thousands of pieces of smaller orbital debris, in future tests.
- As per the initial assessment of USSPACECOM, these debris will remain in orbit for years.
- As a result, it poses a significant risk for the crew on the International Space Station.
- The government of Arunachal Pradesh approved the ‘Pakke Tiger Reserve 2047 Declaration on Climate Change Resilient and Responsive Arunachal Pradesh’.
- This aims to promote “climate-resilient development” in the state.
- The announcement is the first of its kind by any state government in the country.
World COPD Day – November 17
- The day is observed on the third Wednesday of November every year.
- This is to raise awareness about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and improve COPD care throughout the world.
- The World COPD Day 2021 falls on November 17, 2021.
- The 2021 theme is ‘Healthy Lungs – Never More Important’.