CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2022
JANUARY – 29, 2022
Government appoints AnanthaNageswaran as Chief Economic Advisor
- Dr V. AnanthaNageswaran has been appointed Chief Economic Advisor to the government of India. He assumed charge.
- He has taught at several business schools and institutes of management in India and in Singapore.
- He has also been a part-time member of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India from 2019 to 2021.
S Somanath officially takes charge as New Chairman of ISRO & Secretary of DoS
- Eminent rocket scientist S Somanath, who was chosen as the successor of K Sivan, assumed charge as the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Secretary of the Department of Space (DoS).
India and UK conclude first round of talks for Free Trade Agreement
- India and the United Kingdom have concluded the first round of talks for India-UK Free Trade Agreement.
- Discussions were held on Trade in goods and services including Financial Services and Telecommunications, Investment, Intellectual Property, Customs and Trade Facilitation, Government Procurement among others.
Ashleigh Barty wins Australian Open Women’s Singles title
- In Tennis, World Number One Ashleigh Barty, won her first Australian Open title after beating Danielle Collins of the United States in the Women’s Singles final at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.
- The Men’s doubles final is an all-Australian affair, as Thanasi Kokkinakis and Nick Kyrgios will take on Matthew Ebden and Max Purcell.
Women’s Asia Cup Hockey: India beat China 2-0 to win Bronze medal
- Japan continued their impressive run at the 2022 Hockey Asia Cup as they thrashed the mighty South Koreans 4-2 at Muscat. India won bronze medal beating China 2-0 for third and fourth place play of.
- Sharmila Devi in the 13th minute and Gurjit Kaur in the 19th minute scored goals for India.