CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2022
JANUARY – 27, 2022
Padma Awards 2022
- The Padma Awards 2022 is to be conferred to vaccine makers to semiconductor market rulers.
- This time, the Padma awards are being presented to a diversified list of recipients. Around 128 people are to receive the award in 2022. The awards will be presented by President Ram Nath Kovind at RashtrapatiBhawan.
- In 2022, the President Ram Nath Kovind approved 107 Padmashri awards, 17 Padmabhushan and Padma vibhushan awards. In all 128 Padma awards.
- The late CDS, Bipin Rawat and Kalyan Singh are to be presented with Padma Vibhushan posthumously.
- The former West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee is presented with Padma Bhushan. But Buddhadeb is to decline the award. He is a CPI (M) leader.
- The congress leader Gulam Nabi Azad
- Alphabet CEO SundarPichai
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella will also receive the award.
- Gurmeet Bawa, the late folk singer of Punjab.
- Rajiv Mehrishi, the union home secretaries are to be presented with Padma Bhushan.
- Sonu Nigam, the play back singer of Bollywood will receive Padma Shri.
- A total of six sports persons are to receive the Padma awards 2022.ParalympianDevendra Jhajharia is to receive Padma Bhushan. Hockey player Vandana Katariya and Paralympians Pramod Bhagat, AvaniLekhara, Sumit Antilare to receive Padma Shri. Neeraj Chopra, the Tokyo Olympics gold medalist will also receive Padma Shri.
- Vaccine makers: Cyrus Poonawala, the founder of SII (Serum Institute of India) will receive Padma Bhushan. He is the man behind the popular “COVISHIELD”. The chairman of Bharat Biotech Krishna Ella and the co-founder of Bharat Biotech Suchitra Ella will also receive Padma Bhushan.
India, France sign MoU with scope for cooperation in health research
- India and France have signed a MoU with a scope for cooperation in health research.
- Science and Technology Ministry said, the MoU was signed between Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, CSIR and Institut Pasteur, France.
- The MoU provides for developing potential scientific and technological cooperation and networking in advanced and emerging areas of Human Health.
Ukraine-Russia crisis: US rejects Russian demand to bar Ukraine from NATO
- The US has rejected Russia’s demand to bar Ukraine from NATO, amid warnings Russia might invade its neighbour.
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken was giving Russia a formal response to its demands to resolve the Ukraine crisis.
US warns Belarus against assisting Russia invading Ukraine
- The United States warned Belarus that its authoritarian government will also face reprisals if it assists ally Russia in invading neighbouring Ukraine.
- If an invasion were to proceed from Belarus, if Russian troops were to permanently station on their territory, NATO will have to reassess its own force posture in the countries that border Belarus.