CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2022
JANUARY – 26, 2022
Nation celebrates 73rd Republic Day; India flaunts Military might on display at Rajpath
- The Nation is celebrating 73rd Republic Day on 26th Jan. The main function is being held at Rajpath in the National Capital where President Ram Nath Kovind took the salute of the parade presented by Ceremonial Battery of 871 Field Regiment.
- On the occasion, Jammu and Kashmir Police ASI Babu Ram were conferred with Ashok Chakra posthumously.
- The Republic Day Parade ceremony started with Prime Minister Narendra Modi visiting the National War Memorial.
- The Ministry of Defence has conceptualized a series of new events for the main parade on Rajpath.
- Some sections of auto-rickshaw drivers, construction workers, safai karamcharis, and frontline health workers have been invited to watch the Republic Day Parade.
- There will be a total of 16 marching contingents in the Parade.
President approves 384 Gallantry awards for Armed Forces personnel
- The President has approved awards of 384 Gallantry and other Defence decorations to Armed Forces personnel and others on the occasion of 73rd Republic Day celebrations.
- These include 12 Shaurya Chakras including, 29 Param Vishisht Seva Medals, 4 Uttam Yudh Seva Medals, 53 Ati Vishisht Seva Medals, 13 Yudh Seva Medals, 3 Bar to Vishisht Seva Medals, 122 Vishisht Seva Medals, 3 Bar to Sena Medals (Gallantry).
- Olympian Neeraj Chopra who is a Subedar in the Indian Army has been honored with Param Vishisht Seva Medal on the eve of Republic Day.
Andhra Pradesh to have 13 new districts
- The YS Jagan Mohan Reddy government in Andhra Pradesh has 13 new districts notified by the government under AP Districts Formation Act, Section 3(5).
- The new districts have been formed based on Parliamentary constituencies.
- Adding to the existing 13 districts, the total number of districts in Andhra Pradesh is now 26.
France Prez Macron and German Chancellor Scholz meet in Berlin to discuss Russia
- French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz have decided to meet in Berlin to seek a common response to Russia as fears rise that Moscow could soon attack Ukraine.
- The Kremlin denies planning an invasion and Moscow cites the Western response as evidence that Russia is the target, not the instigator, of aggression.
Beijing on high alert ahead of Winter Olympics amid Spring Festival rush
- As Beijing is getting ready to become the first city to have hosted both the Summer and Winter Olympics, the Chinese capital has been on high alert and has intensified efforts to contain any outbreaks before the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning next week amid Chinese Spring festival travel rush.
India enters semifinals of Women’s Asia Cup Hockey tournament
- In Hockey, defending champions India have entered the semifinals of the Women’s Asia Cup tournament after defeating Singapore 9-1 in their last Pool A match in Muscat.
- With this win, India have also sealed a spot for the 2022 FIH Women’s Hockey World Cup to be co-hosted by Spain and Netherlands later this year.
- Gurjit Kaur slammed a hat-trick while Monika and Jyoti scored two field goals apiece.
- India will take on Pool B leaders Korea in the first semifinal. Japan, who beat Malaysia 8-0 in another Pool B match, will be up against China in the other semi-final.