CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2022
JANUARY – 25, 2022
National Tourism Day being celebrated
- National Tourism Day is being celebrated. The day is observed on the 25th of January every year to celebrate the diversity of the country.
- The theme for this year is Rural and Community Centric Tourism. The Ministry of Tourism is observing this day under the aegis of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Mr. Reddy urged everyone to commit to promoting its sustainable development. He also asked everyone to resolve to focus on ‘Rural Tourism’.
Spice Xchange India Portal
- The Spice Board of India recently launched the Spice Exchange Portal. The portal will act as a meeting point between the Indian spice exporters and the buyers all over the world. This platform is first of its kind in the country.
- The platform was launched by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The portal uses Artificial Intelligence to connect the buyers and sellers.
- Spices rank fourth in Indian agricultural commodities. The first three ranks are held by marine products, non basmati rice and basmati rice.
Australian Aboriginal flag
- Government of Australia has bought copyright of Aboriginal flag, in order to free the identity symbol from fights over who can use it.
- The Aboriginal flag was created by indigenous artist Harold Thomas in 1971 as a protest image. However, it is now an official national flag and the dominant Aboriginal emblem.
- Government paid more than USD 20m, for securing the copyright and for terminating lease agreements.
Ukraine-Russia crisis: Tension mounts at Ukrainian border
- The tension rapidly mounting along Ukraine border. The Pentagon said some 8,500 combat-ready US troops are on high alert to deploy at short notice amid rising tension over Ukraine, Russia continues to deny planning military action against Ukraine, despite deploying 100,000 troops nearby.
- Some Nato members, including Denmark, Spain, France and the Netherlands, are already planning or considering sending fighter jets and warships to eastern Europe to bolster defence in the region.
India announces 2 lakh US dollar immediate relief assistance to Tonga, in wake of tsunami
- India has announced two lakh US dollars- immediate relief assistance to Tonga in the wake of tsunami.
- Cyclone Gita in 2018. Disaster Risk Reduction and Management is an important pillar of India’s Indo-Pacific Oceans’ Initiative (IPOI) announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in November 2019.
India’s opening batter Smriti Mandhana named ICC Women’s Cricketer of 2021
- India’s opening batter Smriti Mandhana has been named the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year for 2021. The International Cricket Council (ICC) made the announcement.
- Smriti has won the Rachael Heyhoe-Flint Trophy awarded to the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the year for the second time after 2018.
- Smriti has also become the second women’s cricketer after Australia’s Ellyse Perry to win the honour more than once.