CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2022
JANUARY – 08, 2022
The National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, has expressed concerns over the living conditions of slum dwellers in Mumbai.
- Acting on a complaint in this regard, the Commission has issued notices to Government of Maharashtra and Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs to seek their responses in the matter.
- Government of Maharashtra in its response, through its Chief Secretary has said that several efforts have been made and schemes formulated to provide dwelling units to the slum dwellers for Economically Weaker Sections with the State and Central assistance under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojna, Urban. Shortage of funds has been cited as a constraint.
Zimbabwe President declares date for long-delayed by-elections
- Zimbabwe’s President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared that 28 parliamentary by-elections postponed in 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic will now be held on 26th of March.
- These by-elections are seen as an early test for general elections scheduled for mid-2023.
- Most had belonged to the main opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party, led by Nelson Chamisa.
Sports Ministry’s MOC approves inclusion of Alpine Skiing athlete Md Arif Khan in Target Olympic Podium Scheme Core group, until Winter Olympics
- Sports Ministry’s Mission Olympic Cell (MOC), has approved the inclusion of Alpine Skiing athlete Md Arif Khan in the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS), Core group, until the Winter Olympics, scheduled this February in Beijing, China.
- Mr. Khan will take part in the Winter Olympics in the Slalom and Giant Slalom events.
- He has also been approved an amount of 17 lakh 46 thousand rupees under TOPS towards training in Europe and procurement of equipment, ahead of the grand event in China.
- The MOC approved the European training camp for Khan for a total of 35 days, which started since his qualification for the Winter Olympics. He won the quota in giant slalom in a competition in Montenegro in December last year.