CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
DECEMBER – 29, 2021
- The President Ram Nath Kovind conferred National Awards for outstanding work towards empowerment of persons with disabilities in New Delhi on International Day of Persons with Disabilities (December 3).
- AM Venkatakrishnan, S. Elumalai, K. Dinesh, Manakasha Dantapani, K. Jothi and D. Prabhakaran from Tamil Nadu were awarded with this award.
Soya Meal as an Essential Commodity
- The government has notified, under the Essential Commodities Act 1955, to declare ‘soya meal’ as an essential commodity up to 30th June 2022.
- This step is expected to stop any unfair practices (like hoarding, black marketing, etc) in the market having the potential to hike the prices of soya meal.
- This will also enhance the availability of the commodity for consumers like poultry farms and cattle feed manufacturers.
India to chair UNSC Counter terrorism Committee
- India will chair the Counterterrorism Committee of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in January 2022.
- India had last chaired this committee in 2011-12.
- The UNSC Counter-terrorism Committee was formed in September 2001 soon after the tragic 9/11 terrorist attack.
- This was formed to chart the way forward to fight against terrorism.
Maharashtra government’s Shakti Bill
- The Maharashtra government’s Shakti Criminal Laws (Maharashtra Amendment) Bill, 2020, on crimes against women and children has recommended capital punishment in rape cases.
- Time-limit of 30 days to complete the probe since the day of registration of the complaint.
- The Bill has also made provision of minimum one year to maximum of three years of imprisonment and ₹1lakh in fine on those who make false complaints of sexual assault.