CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
OCTOBER – 29, 2021
Global Food Security (GFS) Index 2021
- India is ranked at 71st position out of 113 countries in the Global Food Security (GFS) Index 2021, with an overall score of 57.2 points.
- It is a global report released by Economist Impact and Corteva Agri–science.
- Ireland, Australia, the UK, Finland, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan, France and the US shared the top rank with the overall GFS score in the range of 77.8 and 80 points on the index.
- The GFS Index considers 58 unique food security indicators including income and economic inequality.
Nine medical colleges – inauguration
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated nine medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh.
- The nine colleges are built at Siddharthnagar, Etah, Hardoi, Fatehpur, Pratapnagar, Deoria, Ghazipur, Mirzapur and Jaunpur.
- Eight medical colleges have been built under the Centrally sponsored scheme for the establishment of new medical colleges.
- One college at Jaunpur has been built by the state government through its own resources.
- This central scheme prefers backward and aspirational districts.
- The scheme aims at reducing the imbalances in the distribution of medical colleges across different states.
India and Kyrgyzstan
- India and Kyrgyzstan held their first strategic dialogue in New Delhi.
- During the summit, both the countries agreed to enhance security & defence cooperation.
- Both India & Kyrgyzstan, are facing threats and challenges due to the situation in Afghanistan.
- They also held discussions on the regional security environment with special reference to Afghanistan.
National Research Development Corporation
- Amit Rastogi, took over as the chairman and managing director of the National Research Development Corporation. Amit Rastogi has been appointed to this position, after his service of 34 years in Indian Navy.
- NRDC is an enterprise of DSIR, Ministry of Science & Technology.
- It was established in 1953 to promote the development, promotion and transfer of technologies from various national R&D institutions.
New Wildlife DNA testing analysis laboratory
- Uddhav Thackeray, Chief Minister of Maharashtra, inaugurated India’s 1st State government-owned Wildlife DNA testing analysis laboratory.
- It was inaugurated at the Regional Forensic Science Laboratory in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- At present, there are 2 Wildlife DNA testing laboratories at Dehradun & Hyderabad.
- These are fully owned by the Central Government.
- The newly launched is the 1st in India to be owned by a state government.
Radio over Internet Protocol System
- The Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port (SPM) in Kolkata has become the first Major Indian Port to get a Radio over Internet Protocol (ROIP) System.
- ROIP system is a long-range marine communication solution.
- It will aid especially during storms and inclement weather
- SPM, Kolkata has been constantly maintaining its pivotal position in Indian Major Ports for the past 152 years.
AIIB – Annual Meeting
- The Union Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman has participated in the 6th Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
- The theme of the Annual Meeting of AIIB was “Investing Today and Transforming Tomorrow”.
- This year, the meeting was jointly organized by AIIB in collaboration with the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- The basic objective of the annual meet is to take key decisions on important matters relating to AIIB, and its future vision.
- The Finance Minister of India shared her thoughts on the theme “COVID-19 Crisis and Post-COVID Support”.
- Tesla Co-founder and CEO Elon Musk have emerged as the richest person in the world.
- He is the first person headed towards a net worth of $300 billion.
- He added $36 billion to his fortune on October 25, 2021.
- The Bloomberg Billionaires Index reported it as the largest single-day gain in its Index history so far.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
NASA DART mission
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is preparing to launch the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) mission.
- This is a planetary defence-driven test of technologies to prevent collision of Earth with an asteroid.
- The mission is scheduled to be launched on November 24, 2021, on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.