CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
OCTOBER – 10, 2021
World’s First Self-Driving Train
- Germany launches the first automated & driverless train.
- It is being dubbed as “world-first”.
- This project is being developed by ‘Siemens and Deutsche Bahn’.
- The self-driving train was launched in the city of Hamburg.
28th NHRC Foundation Day programme
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi has addressed the 28th NHRC Foundation Day programme.
- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of India is a Statutory public body constituted on 12 October 1993.
- It was constituted under the Protection of Human Rights Act 1993.
- It was constituted for the promotion and protection of human rights and dignity of the marginalised.
Seven new defence firms
- As part of the corporatisation of the Ordnance, the Government of India formally launched seven new defence firms on October 15.
- These new government entities will be producing ammunition, vehicles, explosives, weapons and equipment, among others.
- The move of launching 7 new defence companies out of the ordnance Factory Board came (OFB) after the government issued an order of dissolving the OFB with effect from October 1, 2021.
Jaipur International Airport
- Gautam Adani-led Adani Group has taken over the responsibilities of the Jaipur International Airport from the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- The airport has been leased out to the group by the government of India for a period of 50 years.
- Jaipur airport is the 11th busiest airport in India in daily scheduled flight operations.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- The Researchers have found evidence that Pluto’s atmosphere is starting to disappear as the dwarf planet moves farther away from the Sun.
- The icy dwarf planet’s atmosphere is mainly made up of nitrogen.
- The dwarf planet lies in the Kuiper Belt.
Minimum Corporate Tax
- 136 countries, including India, agreed to enforce a minimum corporate tax rate of 15% and an equitable system of taxing profits of big companies in markets where they are earned.
- Big multinationals such as Apple, Alphabet and Facebook, as well as those such as Nike and Starbucks are funnelling profits through low-tax jurisdictions to avoid paying taxes.
- The new proposal is thus aimed at minimising the opportunities for multinational enterprises (MNEs) to indulge in profit-shifting.
- The World football body, FIFA has unveiled the official mascot of the U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 “Ibha”.
- It is an Asiatic lioness representing women power.
- The tournament will be held in India from October 11-30 next year.
- The announcement coincided with the International Day of the Girl Child.
- Ibha aims to inspire women and girls across India and around the world to realise their potential.