CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
JULY – 30, 2021
Dholavira & Ramappa Temple
- A Harappan-era metropolis, Dholavira in Gujarat has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Now Gujarat has three world heritage sites.
- They are Champaner near Pavagadh, Rani ki Vav in Patan and the historic city of Ahmedabad. Dholavira is now the 40th treasure in India to be given. The ongoing 44th session of the World Heritage Committee of UNESCO has already given India a new world heritage site in the form of the Rudreswara/ Ramappa Temple in Telangana.
- The temple dates built by Kakatiya dynasty back to the 13th century.
- This session of the World Heritage Committee is being chaired from Fuzhou in China.
Gujarat’s Kandla becomes first Green SEZ
- Kandla SEZ became the first green SEZ to achieve the IGBC Green Cities Platinum Rating for Existing Cities after it was awarded the IGBC Platinum Rating.
- IGBC Green Cities Platinum Rating is part of activities that have been envisaged under the government’s commitment towards the Green SEZs Mission of celebrations marking India@75 – Azadi ka Amrut Mahotsav.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
World’s biggest floating solar farm
- Singapore’s Sunseap Group, is planning to build the world’s largest floating solar farm and energy storage system in neighbouring Indonesian city named Batam.
- The floating photovoltaic system is expected to have a capacity of 2.2 gigawatts (peak).
- It will cover 1600 hectares (4000 acres) of the Duriangkang Reservoir on Batam Island.
Chicken slaughter waste for biodiesel production
- John Abraham of Kerala has received the patent rights for inventing biodiesel from the waste of slaughtered chicken.
- This biodiesel offers mileage of around 38 km a litre.
- The invention is an outcome of inventor John Abraham’s research at Namakkal Veterinary College under the Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University.
First ever Olympic gold medal in skateboarding
- Japan’s Yuto Horigome has won the first-ever skateboarding competition at the Olympic Games.
- He won the gold medal in men’s street event at the Ariake Urban Sport in Tokyo.
- Kelvin Hoefler of Brazil won silver in the men’s street skating competition.
- Jagger Eaton of the United States clinched the bronze.
International Tiger Day – July 29
- Global Tiger Day or International Tiger Day is observed every year to raise awareness about the declining population of wild cats and making efforts to conserve them.
- This year marks the 11th International Tiger Day.
- The theme/Slogan for the 2021 International Tiger Day celebration is “Their Survival is in our hands”.