CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
FEBRUARY – 5, 2021
First Young Readers’ Boat Library :
- The West Bengal Transport Corporation has launched the First Young Readers’ Boat Library.
- The library has been launched in collaboration with a heritage book store.
- The boat library will cruise on the Hooghly river
First Gender Park :
- The country’s first “Gender Park” in Kerala will become functional soon.
- The three-tower “Gender Park” is a step of the state towards gender equality.
- It will become operational on February 11 coinciding with the second edition of the International Conference on Gender Equality (ICGE-II)
- On that day, the foundation of the International Women’s Trade and Research Centre (IWTRC) will also be laid down.
National Marine Turtle Action Plan
- It was released by the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) in New Delhi.
- The Ministry also released the ‘Marine Mega Fauna Stranding Guidelines’ along with the Marine Turtle Action Plan.
- Both these documents include the ways and measures to promote inter-sectoral action for conservation.
India’s Agreement with IEA
- Framework for Strategic Partnership between the International Energy Agency (IEA) members and the Government of India was signed recently.
- This framework aims to strengthen mutual trust and cooperation
- It will enhance globa energy security, stability and sustainability.
- It would be a stepping stone towards India becoming a full member of the IEA
- IEA is an autonomous intergovernmental organization
- It is established in 1974 as per the framework of the organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
Startup India Seed Fund Scheme
- The government has notified the Startup India seed Fund Scheme (SISFS) with a corpus of Rs.945 crore.
- It was released by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- SISFS is a scheme aimed at providing financial assistance to startups for product trails, proof of concept, market-entry, prototype development, and commercialization.
World Neglected Tropical Diseases
- Neglected Tropical Diseases are the tropical infections caused by viruses, protozoa, bacteria and parasitic worms.
- These are the diseases that get less importance and treatment as compared to the major diseases like HIV / AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis.
- NTDs affect over 1.7 billion people living in the poorest countries.
- Some of the NTDs are Buruli ulcer, Lymphatic filariasis, Rabies, Bengue and Chikungunya etc.
Covid-19 Performance Index
- Lowy Institute, an Australian think-tank, has recently released a COVID-19 “performance index”.
- As per the index, New Zealand is the best-performing country against Covid-19.
- Vietnam has been ranked 2nd
- Vietnam is followed by Taiwan, Thailand and Cyprus on the 3rd, 4th and 5th rank respectively.
- The index accessed the relative COVID-19 performance of 98 countries.
- India has been ranked 86th on the index while the United States has been placed at 94th position.
- The neighbouring countries of India, Sri Lanka has been ranked 10th , the Maldives at 25th, Nepal at 70th, Pakistan at 69th, and Bangladesh at 84th.
- Brazil has been placed at the bottom of this index.
Debt Overhaul Under G20 Common Framework
- Chad has become the first country to officially request a debt restructuring under a new common framework.
- It is also known as “G20 Common Framework” or “Common Framework for Debt Treatments beyond the Debt Service Suspension Initiative (DSSI).
- It was introduced by China and other Group of 20 countries last year with the help of the Paris Club.
- Paris Club is a group of officials from major creditor countries
- This Club was established in 1956.