CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
APRIL – 8, 2021
5 lakh health insurance
- Rajasthan becomes the first state in the country to provide free health insurance facility to all the citizens of the state.
- The State began the registration for its cashless ‘mediclaim’ scheme Chiranjeevi Health Insurance Scheme.
- Under this scheme each family will get annual health insurance up to 5 lakhs.
ARWU – Academic Ranking of World Universities
- The ARWU ranking is prepared by the Shanghai Ranking consultancy.
- It is an independent organisation that is dedicated to research on higher education, intelligence and consultation.
- The consultancy has been publishing the Academic Ranking of World Universities since 2009.
- 15 Indian universities have made it to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2020.
Small Savings Schemes
- The National Savings Institute operating under the Ministry of Finance recently announced that West Bengal is the top contributor to the Small Savings Scheme in the country.
- The state contributes 15% of the total corpus.
- It has so far collected Rs 90,000 crores under the Small Savings Scheme.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Plant-Insect Gene Transfer
- The Chinese scientists have recently identified the transfer of genes from plants to insects.
- Usually transfer of genes happen among the same family.
- Here the insect called whiteflies has incorporated a portion of DNA from plants into their genome.
National Maritime Day – April 05
- The first celebration took place in 1964, April 04 to spread awareness about intercontinental commerce and the economy.
- This year, India will mark its 58th edition of National Maritime Day.
- The theme of National Maritime Day is ‘Sustainable Shipping beyond COVID-19’ on the lines of ‘Aatma Nirbhar Bharat’ initiative of the Government of India.