CURRENT AFFAIRS – 2021
APRIL – 15, 2021
- The incumbent Election Commissioner (EC) Sushil Chandra has been named to become the next Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India.
- He was appointed by President Ram Nath Kovind as the 24th CEC.
- He will replace incumbent CEC Sunil Arora.
- S Krishnamurthy was the first IRS officer to be appointed to that position.
- He oversaw the 2004 Lok Sabha elections’ conduct as the 13th CEC.
- The Drugs Controller General of India has approved emergency use authorisation of the Russian Vaccine, Sputnik V.
- It has now become the third vaccine to get emergency use authorisation from the drug regulator after Covishield and Covaxin.
- Sputnik Vaccine was developed by Russia in the last year.
- India has now become the 60th country to approve Sputnik V.
- Russia is the first country in the world to register a vaccine against Coronavirus (August 2020).
- A Sanskrit learning app ‘Little Guru’ has launched in Bangladesh by the Indira Gandhi Cultural Centre (IGCC) of the High Commission of India.
- It is world’s first Gamified Sanskrit learning application.
- This App aims to promote the Sanskrit language among students, religious scholars, Indologists and historians across the world.
Saint Vincent Island
- The La Soufriere volcano has erupted recently.
- It has been erupting explosively, covering the main island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines in ash and debris.
- Saint Vincent is a volcanic island in the Caribbean Sea. It is the largest island of the country in the Caribbean Sea.